Re: Need Info on Ohio Meteorites

Bob Martino schrieb:

> I've been interested in meteorites for some time, but only just
> subscribed to this list. I'm a subscriber now because a member of
> the public brought a stony meteorite to a public program at Perkins
> Observatory last week. It passed the usual tests, and I'm in the
> process of sending pieces of it off to the Smithsonian for analysis
> and confirmation. To my knowledge, this will be the first meteorite
> discovered in Ohio in about 50 years. I want to write a short article
> for Sky & Telescope and Astronomy magazines, as well as a press
> release for the local news media. The story will carry more weight
> if it is put in its historical context, however.
>
> A couple of years ago I learned of a catalog/book/data base of some
> sort which supposedly recorded all known meteorite finds and falls.
> I have no idea now what it was called, where to obtain a copy, or how
> to get some info out of it about past Ohio meteorites. Can anyone
> here help me out?

Hello Bob,

As a member of this list and a Sky&Tel reader for 22 years, I will offer
some help. There are nine Ohio meteorites in my database METCAT:

Name - Class - Locality - Latitude - Longitude - Fell/Find - Year -
Total (grams)

Cincinnati IIA Hamilton County  39° 07' N  084° 30' W  Find 1870 28

Dayton  IICD Montgomery County 39° 45' N   084° 10' W Find 1892 26300

Enon MESANOM Clarke County 39° 52' N    083° 57' W    Find 1883 763

New Concord L6 Muskingum County 40° 00' N 081° 46' W  Fell 1860 226500

New Westville IVA Preble County 39° 48' N 084° 49' W  Find 1941 4800

Paint Creek Doubtful Holmes County 40° 30' N  082° W  Fell 1868? 9286,5

Pricetown L6 Highland County 39° 07' N 083° 51' W     Fell 1893  900

Tarlton H4 Fairfield County 39° 19' 12" N 082° 22' 12" W  Find 1967
226,5

Wooster IAB Wayne County 40° 46' N    081° 57' W    Find 1858    22650

The book/catalog you are talking about is the British Catalog of
Meteorites (4th ed. 1985) but an electronic update is going to be
published soon and Mrs. Monica Grady (who also posted a message some
minutes ago is the right person to ask about it.

Best wishes, Bernd