Vs: Greenland Meteorite

Hello Mike and list,

Sad that they didnīt find any meteorites. I hope they have some luck with that
dust.

Mike is right. There is several meteor showers which meteors speed are more
than 35 miles (about 56km/s) per second;

alpha-Centaurids	56 km/s = 34.8 miles/s
gamma-Normids		56 km/s = -"-
eta-Aquarids		66 km/s = 41 miles/s
Pegasids		70 km/s = 43.5 miles/s
Perseids		59 km/s = 36.7 miles/s
alpha-Aurigids	66 km/s = 41 miles/s
delta-Aurigids	64 km/s = 39.8 miles/s
epsilon-Geminids	70 km/s = 43.5 miles/s
Orionids		66 km/s = 41 miles/s
Leonids		71 km/s = 44.1 miles/s
alpha-Monocerotids	65 km/s = 40.4 miles/s
sigma-Hydrids		58 km/s = 36 miles/s
Coma-Berenicids	65 km/s = 40.4 miles/s

I think that speed of Greenland meteorite is not very strong evidence for its
outside solar system origin. Greenland meteorite may have been a member of
sigma-Hydrids shower. Sigma-Hydrids is a small meteor shower (ZHR only 5)
which maximum date is December 12 and meteor speed 36 miles/second. This
shower was detected 1960s by photography... Radiant for that shower is
alpha=127 degree and delta=+2 degree (about 10 degree east of Procyon). It
would be a good idea to check if it is possible that Greenland event was
sigma-Hydrids originated. That would be a great news if there is dust from
meteor of known meteor shower...

I found these meteors speeds from IMO Meteor Shower Calendar '99
<http://www.imo.net/calendar/cal99.html>

Jarmo

Jarmo Moilanen
Vattukuja 14 as 14