Fw: Was the cow falsely blamed

>> Chladi reported such events. Frankly, I'm a little amazed
at
>> the myopic view that scientists take in determining what
is
>> actually of meteoritic origin, and what is not. Example:
>> Pwdre Ser. Debris of this type has been long associated
with
>> meteor showers, but I was told by someone with
credentials
>> that it is impossible...it is too friable to survive
entry.

>Hi,
>Bjurbole and Saratov are amazingly friable, as you probably
know.  If
>you don't have a piece, I'll tell you that just in the act
of picking
>them up you have to be careful not to crush them.  I've had
chondrules
>fall out just while I was walking a few hundred yards with
one in a
>sack.
>
>There was supposedly a time when weird science assured us
that
>bumblebees could not fly.  Somehow they managed anyway.
(:-)

Exactly. And what about Good 'ole Thomas Jefferson... the
"yankee professor" quote. Also we would never fly, or go to
the moon. This thread got me thinking. What kind of stuff
could actually make it to the earth? What about ice falls?
Could cometary parent bodies produce them? There have been
falls in previous centuries, so I assume aircraft could be
ruled out, and that the reports are not all "stories."

Now to present day: I heard reports (I believe one was from
LANL) about "foil" that fell after the El Paso 10/9/97
bolide. I remember hearing a report that sheriff deputies
drove through this stuff, but nothing was ever found.
Appariently, it completely sublimed. How the hell is it
possible for "metal foil" to completely sublime, or for that
matter, any solid meteoritic debris?

I am aware of phase diagrams, triple point, ect, but this
still doesn't seem right, given the short time spans
involved and the apparient solidity of the debris. Can this
happen? Anybody know?

Thanks,
Brian