Re: Back-contamination

 Hello Gene, Ed and List,

" Drop a cactus in a lake, and you will see what happens to
Martian life on most of Earth."

Gene, I strenuously object to your suggestion of drowning a cactus in
the name of science and want to go on record as stating I am opposed to
any such torture, cruelty or experimentation on plant life :-)

Actually, it is believed that cacti originated in the tropics of Central
America.....  They migrated northward and southward undergoing
evolutionary adjustments to the ever-increasing dry periods that were
caused by the slow uplift of the Andes in South America and the Rocky
mountain complex in North America.  Some small groups became isolated
and underwent separate evolutionary changes,  resulting in a family of
great structural diversity capable of tolerating extensive dry periods.

I grow cacti in extremely low light and in very humid conditions.   They
adapt.

Life does have it's way of branching out and finding a way when one
avenue is blocked - similar to the dendrites (tree-like structures) of
the neural connections of the human brain - something for which we can
all be grateful , since, IMHO, this means there is great hope for
Alzheimer's and damage from brain traumas.

Sorry to wander.
Best regards,
Julia

Archives located at: