Re: Indochinites: Follow-Up

Bernd Pauli schrieb:

> James Tobin schrieb:
>
> Today the new arrivals on the market are coming more from provinces
> in C h i n a.  T i b e t has also been claimed as a source and I would
> love to believe it is, however there is still question about whether
> they were transported there for their significance in metaphysics
> and are now coming back out.

H. Povenmire (1996) Tibetan Tektites - Authentic? (Meteoritics  31-4,
1996, A111).

H. Povenmire, Florida Institute of Technology, 215 Osage Drive, Indian
Harbour Beach FL 32937, USA.

Several years ago at least three prominent commercial meteorite dealers
offered tektites for sale that were reported to have been found in
Tibet. In all cases, these dealers gave me generous samples, without
cost, for petrological analysis. They also provided detailed location
data but only from nondocumented sources. Extensive efforts to obtain
referenced data to confirm these sources has been negative. These
specimens were all small, about 10 g, and resembled typical indochinites
in superficial appearance and color. These specimens were submitted to
B. Glass for electron microprobe analysis and the results were
essentially identical to indochinites [1]. They were also sent to
G. Izett for K/Ar dating and found to be approximately 0.76 m.y., which
is also consistent with the Australasian strewn field [2]. It would not
be unexpected for the Australasian strewn field to extend to the Tibetan
plateau.  However, the closest authenticated indochinites were found
about 1800 km to the east-southeast of this region. If the Tibetan
plateau is a genuine extension of the Australasian strewn field, this
would be a very significant finding for our understanding of this strewn
field. Likewise, the worst nightmare of a meteoritical field researcher
is a meteorite or tektite that "migrates" or is transported to an
artificial or false location.
Can any researcher in this field provide information, positive or
negative, that can help solve this problem? I will provide small
samples, without cost, to any legitimate researcher who can provide data
that might help solve this problem. Please submit a detailed research
proposal on your institutional letterhead describing your plan for
analytical investigation.