Re: Indochinites

Dear Bernd, Jim & all the list,
	I must state that I am continually astonished by the ethnocentricity of
westerners and of western "scientists" in particular (lest there be any
doubt, the " marks intentionally imply critisism of a failure to remain
objective, which is one of the primary tenents of science), in general,
and regarding Tibetanites, in particular.
	In my article, "The Tektites of Tibet (METEORITE!, May, 1996) I clearly
outline the reports of an Asian trader that the Tibetanites are gathered
by the Drokma tribe from a dry lake bed in the Chang Tang province,
(perhaps better known as "The Great Plateau") in central and northern
Tibet near Motsobuhna Lake. These valued specimens are then most often
"tithed" to Tibetan monks, who value them greatly. Yet, white
"scientists" continue to speculate about the possibility they were
imported for their talismanic properties, then came out of Tibet
(presumably with the refugees?).
	Hal Povenmire (a fine gentleman, by the way) is cited - after all, he
IS a "scientist," but my article, which clearly outlines their origin,
is continually disregarded, or only hinted at, as "rumors have it" or
"unsubstantiated reports" - and then, never by name or citation.
	I guess the "scientific community" is reluctant to "take the word of"
an Asian - especially one conducting business, and the reports of "a
non-scientist."  I guess it will take a white "scientist" personally
picking up one of the little guys from the dry lake bed, himself, THEN
PUBLISHING an account of "his discovery" before credibility is granted.
After all, if it isn't "documented" (and, aparently, by the "right type"
of person) it is "only rumor."
	As the great comedic social commentator says, "But that's just my
opinion....I could be wrong."
	Best wishes, Michael

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: