My Opinion on topic: Mailing List Advertisements

I don't want to sound like a net cop, but I haven't felt that I am
inundated with spam.

Perhaps Art Jones would like to say something since he is the
administrator.

The 'charter' for the list at Meteorite Central is fairly broad and simple:

    We have provided a meteorite mailing list
    (meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com) for the purpose of providing a
    fast and efficient method to relay pertinant information regarding
    meteorites. The list is un-moderated ... meaning all email messages
    posted will go to all members almost instantly! Have a pressing
    question about a find? Found that 'once-in-a-lifetime' deal and want
    to make sure it is legitimate? The list should help with these and
    other situations.

I don't like to see long lists of for sale items - that's what web
sites should be used for. But considering there is so much dealing
going on in Tucson right now, I'd like to hear at least a little about
who has what. I don't expect these sort of posts to continue for much
longer.

I do think it is appropriate for someone to post that they have items
from some curator or private collection - if only for historic
reasons.

I subscribe to many mailing lists and have so for many years, this
list is fairly well-behaved.

The best way to maintain high standards on a mailing list is to post
things of lasting value, things people would want to save.

--
          Jim Hurley
       Arachnaut's Lair