lines would be acceptable. I don't like the idea of stopping all
advertising, but limiting it seems reasonable.

Thanks
JMFrom meteorite-list-request@meteoritecentral.com  Sun Feb  8 18:18:04 1998
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:14:15 -0700 (MST)
To: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
From: Martin Horejsi
Subject: Re: Carbonates and CI Chondrites

Hello Frank,

Thank you very much for the additional information about Orgueil. I'm
starting to put together the picture of Orgueil's formation and alteration.

One thing that you mentioned about Orgueil earlier has me curious. You
stated:  "They do not have chondrules, and are considered to be extremely
primordial (they are used as a standard to compare earth's igneous rocks to
the mean composition of the Solar System).

What is the relationship between primativeness and age. According to Dodd
(A Petrologic-Chemical Synthesis, 1981), Orgueil's age is not particularly
old, nor is it uncommon among meteorites. Also, CI's, according to Dodd
again, "are more complex than their nearly solar chemical composition
suggests."

Dodd also mentions that "these, the least evolved of meteorites, had active
physical and chemical histories."

How does one sort through the past activities of the Orgueil in order to
get a baseline measure for comparison? And if the meteorite is so
primitive, how can it contain, as Dodd points out, "Much of the abundant
carbon in CI meteorites occurs in extremely complex organic compounds."
Were complex organics present at the earliest stages of our solar system?

Sincerely,

Martin

Follow-Ups: References: