Re: Carbonates and CI Chondrites

Hello Frank,

Thank you for the interesting observations about CI condrites. I'm a little
curious as to where the line is drawn between igneous and sedimentary
occurrences in meteorites. From what I understand, there are no sedimentary
meteorites, but carbonate deposits and alteration due to water movement
seem to indicate sedimentary-like processes.

When looking closely at my fragment of Orgueil, it does remind me of the
carbonates formed due to chemical weathering I see on many of the basaltic
rocks in my backyard. I've read that carbonate formations are considered
sedimentary when occurring in special circumstances such as in a cave.

Could CIs such as Orgueil have formed in a specific environment such as a
lake bottom-like environ or hydrothermal cave formations such as those
found in Yellowstone park?

One last thing, were does science currently stand regarding Orgueil as
containing bio-indicators?

Sincerely,

Martin