Re: Forwarded news article

Hi Bill,

In your message dated Thursday 5, February 1998 you wrote :
> Phil,
> The report I heard was from a pilot who saw a vapor trail descending at
> a steep angle in the area 15 miles N. of Hana. Wouldn't a steep angle of
> descent localize the detonations a few miles short of the impact?

No. Sound can scatter in all directions. Forget the sound!

> I know that even with hundreds of reports it is still very difficult to
> locate a meteorite. 2 very intense fireballs were widely witnessed South
> of Denver in the past 2 years, yet no meteorites have been recovered.
>
> Bill

I'm not really surprised. What most people don't realize is that only a small
minority of fireballs actually drop meteorites. Most fireballs - even the
brightest ones - have friable objects in their centres which simply do not make
it to Earth.

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/