Re: Holbrook slices

On slicing - has anyone done this at home?

I have a Dremel tool with lots of attachments - one is a cutoff
tool that is like a small emery board - it is supposed to be able to
cutoff steel bolts so it should be able to easily cut stones.

The problem is that the wheel is very small, only about 1 inch in
diameter.

I have a few stones that are fragments, not slices, and I thought it
might be interesting to use the Dremel to slice some of them. Slices
are so much easier to see structure in than the meteorite fragment.

Some of my slices (like Hamada du Draa) are quite young and yet
show very early signs of rust. This one came from a desert, so maybe
that is common, but for a fall only a few years old that seems bad.
Has anyone tried to sand a slice with, say 600 grit silicon carbide
paper?  It should wipe out that oxidization and restore a nice finish.

I have been debating on the uses of Krylon on stones. Once polished
and immediately coated lightly, the surface should be well preserved
and look nice under a microscope. It is also easy to remove in the
future. However, no one has done this to my knowledge. What hazards
are involved here?

--
          Jim Hurley
       Arachnaut's Lair