Re: Holbrook slices

In your message dated Tuesday 10, February 1998 you wrote :
> haag put krylon on gao slices and they looked fantastic.
> dp
>
> >I have been debating on the uses of Krylon on stones. Once polished
> >and immediately coated lightly, the surface should be well preserved
> >and look nice under a microscope. It is also easy to remove in the
> >future. However, no one has done this to my knowledge. What hazards
> >are involved here?

There have been reports of problems with Krylon and I wouldn't recommend it. The
total removal of Krylon is very difficult, especially on porous faces, and often
results in damage to the meteorite's surface. The normal procedure for removing
Krylon is to bathe the sprayed surface in xylene overnight, but this, in itself,
is a nasty chemical and needs careful handling.

Unless you live in a particularly humid area, or the meteorite is subject to
frequent handling, you should try to avoid spraying the surface with any
coating. A better alternative is to examine the specimen every week and deal
with any problems if and when they occur. Providing you catch deterioration at
the outset it won't do too much damage to your meteorites.

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/