Re: Armageddon versus scientific accuracy

In your message dated Tuesday 7, July 1998 you wrote :

> But I don't see why we have to put up with such poor science,
> engineering, and computer interactions in movies. It may give
> young kids a bad intuition for these fields.

Hi Jim,

Can you remember the film "Meteor" with Sean Connery, Natalie Wood, etc? Warner
Bros. sent me a publicity pack for a piece I was writing. Although the film was
dreadful - and the science absurd - the scientific information in the pack was
actually spot on. The fact is that true science doesn't make good movies!

As for young kids....I recently read that 2/3rd of the American public do not
realize that the Earth orbits the Sun, so one more dodgy movie isn't going to
make a helluvalot of difference.

Regards,

--
Phil Bagnall