Re: Grading, was Re: Meteorites-do you sell your loved ones?

I would just like to add a bit to Kevin and Jim's posting. I agree with the need for
more description, and better images (I am trying all the time!), but not every piece
of Jilin or Allende looks the same.  I've had pieces that you cut one way, and cut it
another and it looks totally different.  Rocks are NOT like baseball cards, and comic
books. There is no standard we can compare them to.  I have been a professional
geologist for about 6 years now, and I have see ALOT of rocks. I could show you two
rocks, both andesites, and you would swear you were seeing a piece of basalt and
granite (to contrast).  Meteorites are totally objective.  If you don't like the way
a specimen looks when you get it, send it back! If the dealer gives you a hard time,
don't buy from him/her again.  Furthermore, a dealer should know basic meteoritics,
astronomy, and geology.  There is no excuse for calling a stone an L4 when it is an
H6, I've seen it, and it bothers me.  Take a class, read all the books you can, and
be responsible, especially for NEW specimens.  Get them officially classified, or
have several other dealers, collectors, instructors, take a look at it.

Best wishes,
Matt

--
Matt Morgan