Re: underwater meteorites

I know of one instance of a meteorite recovered from water. _Space
Nomads_ has a tale of a meteorite from Lake Okechobee (sp?) being
dredged up in a fisherman's net by complete accident. I suppose the
fellow would have chunked it overboard if he hadn't been curious as to
what it was doing there.

> I had a underwater treasure hunter show me an object this weekend that
> was found off the coast of Florida while hunting for treasure coins,
> that looks like a fully crusted stone meteorite (with barnacles).  He
> said his metal detector went crazy over it and it sticks to my magnet
> like an L type. (waiting for a piece to be cut to see the interior)

If it really is a meteorite, then it is historically significant.
However, ocean water is probably about the harshest place on Earth for a
meteorite to land, and it might just be terrestrial iron or an artifact
that has rusted a crust to it. Now that it is again in the oxygen-rich
atmosphere, it might weather completely away, I hope your
treasure-hunting friend knows a lot about how human artifacts are
preserved. They have to be treated with special care after being
underwater for long periods of time.