Re: Metropolitan hits

STEVEN R. SCHONER schrieb:

> ... the Patwar (MES) fall of July 29th, 1935 produced a shower of
> small stones that fell like rain on the tin roofs. They were reported
> to be the size of rice grains.
>
> Johnstown (ADIO) July 6th, 1924 produced a shower of stones ...a
> shower of tiny stones rained down on roofs, as well as a graveyard.

And then there was also: MBALE, Uganda - strewnfield 3 x 7 km / L6 -
shock veins.

On the afternoon of August 14, 1992, after a large explosion, a daytime
shower of stony meteorites rained down on Mbale citizens and its
surroundings with a rumbling noise and blazing smoky trails in the sky.
Local residents were scared because they thought  they were being bombed
by rebels some kilometers away - in the direction from which the
meteorites came. Even more confusing, the explosion produced a sonic
boom that sounded like machine-gun fire.
Two major impacts took place in the swamps south of a prison and  four
fragments fell near or hit the prison itself. The largest, weighing at
least 10 kg, landed only one meter from a building near the prison and
made a depression 80 centimeters deep.
Two meteorites hit a railway station; one broke through the roof and
shattered on the concrete floor. Another impact occurred at a Shell Oil
Co. storage facility. The stone weighed a few kilograms and fell atop an
underground fuel tank producing a hole a few tens of centimeters deep.
Another major fragment weighing about 5 kg smashed through the roof of a
cotton factory, hit a machine, and shattered into several pieces.
Impacts were also reported at a coffee factory and a sewage works
northwest of Mbale.
Smaller fragments (some weighing only a few grams) were found in Doko,
about 5 km northwest of Mbale, where we recovered many stones weighing a
few grams.
A 4-gram fragment hit a boy from Doko on the head, but he was not
seriously injured.
Many of the smaller stones may still lie at the bottom of the extensive
swamps surrounding the city.

And then there was BINNINGUP, Australia, H5:

At approximately 10:10 A.M. (local time) on 30 September 1984, after the
appearance of a brilliant daylight fireball accompanied by at least two
detonations, a meteorite fell onto Binningup beach (33° 09’ 23’’ S, 115°
40’ 35’’ E) situated 20 km north of Bunbury and 130 km south of Perth,
Western Australia. Accompanied by a whistling noise, an almost
completely crusted stone weighing 488.1 grams landed within 4-5 metres
of two sunbathers on the beach and excavated an impact pit 30 cm in
diameter and 15 cm deep in soft sand. The meteorite was recovered within
a few minutes of the fall and was reported to have been warm to the
touch.

Best wishes,

Bernd