Re: Basalt from Earth and from space

Wilton Carvalho schrieb:

> ...  petrographic distinction between terrestrial and meteoritic
> basalts.
> Which test should be performed to set aside a rock as a terrestrial
> vulcanic rock instead of an achondrite meteorite?

Hello Wilton, hello List!

Maybe these references are of help to you, especially the paper by
Shukla A.D. et al. (1997):

T.E.Bunch (1975) Petrography and petrology of basaltic achondrite
polymict breccias (howardites) (Proc.Lun. Sci.Conf. 6th, 469-492).

DELANEY J.S. (1993) Fe/Mn and oxygen constraints on the composition of
the basaltic achondrite parent body (Meteoritics 28-3, 1993, A340).

BINZEL R.P. (1993) Chips off Vesta: Evidence for the parent body of
basaltic achondrite (HED) meteorites (Meteoritics 28-3, 1993, A323).

M.M. Grady et al. (1985) Carbon in basaltic achondrites: A preliminary
investigation (abs. Lun.Plan.Sci. 16, 286-287).

GRADY M.M. et al. (1997) Carbon in howardite, eucrite and diogenite
basaltic achondrites (Meteoritics 32-6, 1997, 863).

BASALTIC VOLCANISM STUDY PROJECT (1981) Basaltic volcanism on the
terrestrial planets (Pergainon Press, New York, New York. 229 pp.).

HSU W. et al. (1996) Mineral chemistry, and the petrogenesis of eucrites
- 1: Noncumulate eucrites (GCA 60, 4571-4591).

SHUKLA A.D. et al. (1997) The Piplia Kalan eucrite: Fall, petrography
and chemical characteristics (Meteoritics 32-5, 1997, 611-615):

First, we compare the measured concentrations of various trace elements
in Piplia with those of eucrites (Mason, 1971). It can be seen from
Tables 1 and 2 that the concentrations of various elements in the Piplia
meteorite lie well within the range of eucrites. Calcium oxide vs.
(FeO/FeO + MgO) has been used to distinguish eucrites, howardites and
diogenites from each other (Mason, 1962; Duke and Silver, 1967). The
Piplia meteorite lies in the field of eucrites on the CaO vs. (FeO/FeO +
MgO) diagram. The mol% (FeO/FeO + MgO) in Piplia is 0.64, which is
similar to the highest value (0.66) observed in eucrites (Mason, 1962).
Further, it is well known (e.g., Laul et al., 1983) that certain
elemental ratios such as FeO/MnO can be used to distinguish between
lunar,  t e r r e s t r i a l  and  m e t e o r i t i c  samples. The
FeO/MnO ratio in eucrites, howardites and SNC achondrites ranges from 30
to 50. Piplia has a value of 32, which is well within this range.

Best wishes,

Bernd