Re: Basalt from Earth and from space

>> Basaltic achondrites can be identified by
>> the presence of a fusion crust.
>> Steve Schoner
>
>.....or perhaps not. Fusions crusts are not a permanent feature. It is quite
>possible - indeed commonplace - for an aged meteorite to lose its crust.

Yes, quite true.  But at least with these types of meteorites there is
no metallic iron in the matrix or in the composition of the crust itself.
Therefore, if a fusion crust is present it is more likely to persist
over a much longer period of time.

Another point is location.  If a find in made in a location where
volcanics are unknown, say the fields above the Cliffs of Dover and it
is 'volcanic', then the options for it are that it was transported by
natural forces (glaciers?), or by man, or-- more exciting-- it fell
from the sky.

Though I have not found any basaltic achondrites yet, I make it a point
to at least examine any rock that looks out of place.

Often that is the first cue to finding a meteorite.

Steve Schoner