Re: Monahans, Texas

I dont understand this explanation.

If Casper is running the auction - and also bidding (agreed that is
technically by 2 separate companies both owned by casper) -- then why is
Casper providing this assistance in

"NHA.com agreed to allocate funds      and its other resources
>to advertise the auction of this meteorite to      thousands of people
>throughout the world thus making many more people aware      that this
>meteorite is available for purchase. "

This would seem to imply that the actions of NHA would raise the price and
bids for the piece. If Casper is also bidding then any reasonable bidder
would do what they could to insure they purchase the item of their interest
at the lowest possible price. This logic would not seem to make any sense
--- which is why the entire process seems so suspect.

Mark

At 12:11 AM 7/19/98 -0400, Michael Casper wrote:
>     Dear List Members, We were out of town for most of Friday, returning
>around  3:00 a.m. this morning. And we have also been very busy. With
>regard to the Monahans meteorite auction, please be  advised of the
>following:      Steve Arnold is the agent/representative who has been
>contracted to represent the owners of the Monahans meteorite. Acting in
>this      capacity, Steve has felt it to be in the best interests of his
>clients to      explore all available options with regard to selling this
>meteorite in order      to secure the most possible money for them. In
>exploring all options and      after consulting with his clients, Steve and
>his clients entered into an      agreement with NaturalHistoryAuction.com
>for several reasons some of which      include the fact that NHA.com has
>agreed to auction Monahans with no      buyer’s or seller’s
>premium and NHA.com agreed to allocate funds      and its other resources
>to advertise the auction of this meteorite to      thousands of people
>throughout the world thus making many more people aware      that this
>meteorite is available for purchase.     NaturalHistoryAuction.com is a
>corporation which is      completely separate from Casper Meteorites, Inc.
>Casper Meteorites does      intend to bid on the Monahans meteorite and
>will submit its initial bid at      $20,000. However, its bidding will be
>done by proxy.      Please visit http://www.NaturalHistoryAuction.com
>for photo images of the Monahans meteorite, description of the meteorite,
>   Bidding Information and Purchaser’s Registration Statement all of
>    which will be up on the site by 8:00 p.m. EDT Sunday, 20 July
>1998. Questions concerning the auction may be directed to
>Director@NaturalHistoryAuction.com .  Additionally, Steve Arnold has
>indicated that he will be happy to answer any  questions concerning his
>role as agent for the Consignors by emailing him  directly
>MeteorHntr@aol.com  . Thank you for your time. Enjoy the rest of your
>weekend. Cathi Casper Casper Meteorites,  Inc.
>P. O. Drawer J
>Ithaca, New York 14851
>USA
>607-257-5349  (phone)