Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice, & the American Way, in Monahans!

In a message dated 5/31/98 6:29:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
mblood@access1.net writes:

<< "Truth, Justince & the American Way." (excuse me if I take a
 moment to choke)

First of all, "Truth" is, to no small degree, RELATIVE.
	Second, "Justice" exists only at the highest metaphisical level.
	As for "The American Way" - you've got to be kidding!  (this is NOTHING
against the IDEALS upon which the U.S.A. was founded)  PLEASE!

OK Michael,

Let me run this by you real quickly one more time, OK?

Two meteorites landed in Monahans Texas 2 months ago.  7 boys playing
basketball saw and heard one of them land 40 feet from them.  They pick it up.
The police illegally confiscate it from them without the due process of law!
A NASA scientist comes to the town and tells the media and the city council:
1.  The meteorites are common
2.  The meteorites are not "of any real monetary value"
3.  The meteorites belongs to the city
4.  When a commercial meteorite dealer gets a meteorite, ONLY the dealer
profits!

Then the city manager tells the 7 boys, if they want the rock back they must
file a law suit and have a judge order the City to return it to them.

These boys hired me to help them sell their rock, but first we have to "Fight"
to get it back, then we can sell it.

SO:
The "FIGHT":
Trust me, this is a fight!

The "TRUTH":
1.  The meteorites are NOT common.
2.  The meteorites are worth some REAL monetary value
3.  The rocks do not necessarily belong to the city
4.  And Michael, I know this may be real hard for you to believe, but there
are a few reputable "commercial meteorite dealers" out there, that do much
more good than just make a profit for themselves only!  You may agree with the
Agent of the Federal Government, but some of us on the list don't!  And you
are right, in the case of dealers, the Truth is very relative!

The "JUSTICE":
IF we can't reason with the City Councilors, then we will apply political
pressure, and if that won't work we will go to court to get justice!

The "AMERICAN WAY":
When 7 kids happen to be at the right place at the right time and find a
meteorite, that COULD have had (and as it turned out, DOES have) very valuable
scientific value to it, end up doing the right thing and report the find, then
a big man with a badge and a gun comes along and takes it away from them
assuring them "Now we aren't trying to take this away from you boys, it might
be radio-active, so we will just keep this down at the police station for safe
keeping, blah, blah, blah..." then they are forced to fight to get the thing
back, then YES, I would say that is quite typical of "the American Way."
Fortunately the "Texas Way" (of having a show down on Main Street at high
noon, with six shooters) was not taken (at least not yet!).

Thus my rational for the subject title: "The Fight for Truth, Justice & the
American Way, in Monahans!

Steve Arnold