Truth-Justice-Reality-Monahans

I was in Barstow during the Old Woman issue.  I could not but help but feel
sympathy for the discoverers.  Having watched the BLM take over our desert for
it's "protection" I continue to wonder at our "Big Government" practices.
These are people that know nothing of the Desert.  They simply get the degree
and hire on.
As a State Employee that is a lifetime resident of this desert, I cannot agree
that the system provides educated decisions concerning this desert and the
people that live within.

Additionally, watching "Trinity" and the ludricous practices of the feds
during their testing of atomics, during the 40's thru the 60's,  I am
incredulous.  The net result is that the Fed comes practically off as a very
dangerous entity indeed.  The "Old Woman" scenario merely repeated past
practices as the interested parties working as civil servants for the
Smithsonian practically stole the "Old Woman".  The discoverers had no ability
to challenge in the court of the land and consequently, the civil "servants"
won.

Most of the "Old Woman" is on display at the BLM Way Station in Barstow.
Noticably is the missing slice approximating 20% of the main body.  I hope the
Smithsonian provided the report regarding that slice to the public.  I do not
know if that was done.

My opinion here of the Monahans is related to the above and I note a hard road
ahead and the need for plenty of bucks to fight the Fed.  Because a lack of
funds will
automatically indicate failure.

It is sad indeed that the civil servants involved do not recognize or see the
need to provide public assistance in this case.  Some kids saw a star land at
their feet and they will not be recognized.  The City quickly grabbed the rock
stating, "Radioactivity" and other dangers and stashed the star away.  I
believe that no matter what the people involved do in this case they will be
defeated as the prospectors of the "Old Woman" were.  Simply because of money
and power.
Science will be short circuited and the people will be ignored.  Another Big
Goverment move registered in history and life will go on.

I hope Steve has the Cajones and the money to fight the Fed and get some
headway in this issue.  Until the community does, we will suck hind nipple.
So the community has a choice, they can lie low and accept what ever from the
outcome or they can become involved and support the situation, organize the
situation and fight to the level where a lasting decision can be made.  Until
then, nothing will change concerning meteorite falls, finders and ownership.

My hopes that this is simply my opinion and that it does not offend this
community.  I entirely respect your higher knowledge and I appreciate you all
and thank you for your open discussions that benefit amateur people like me.

John Harper
Barstow