Re: Truth-Justice-Reality-Monahans

John Harper kindly shared his thoughts about the Old Woman meteorite and
the government.  Except for the Cajones and hind nipple stuff, I agree that
legal battles will need to be fought (in the USA anyway) in order to
establish the precedents for the legal future of meteorite discoveries.

I am wondering where the laws currently stand regarding vertebrate fossil
finds on both private and public land. As I recall, in the early 90's,
there was fervor over the T-rex named Sue (now at the Chicago Field
Museum), interest in baby dinosaur fossils found in Montana, and a certain
Senator from Montana who was attempting to pass a law prohibiting the
private collection of all vertebrate fossils on federal lands.

Does anyone have more information about the current standing of the
vertebrate fossil collecting laws? My feeling is that the legal road
fossils have recently traveled may foreshadow the future legal decisions
regarding meteorite discoveries.

Martin