Re: Monahans

In a message dated 6/11/98 3:18:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
meteorite@compuserve.com writes:

<< Jim, I tried to mail you directly, but mail server spit it back.
 There is a pic of Monahans at Lang's Meteorites.
 It is a photo of a specimen about 25 grams.

 And Ron, I heard the stone WAS on Mario's property. But, it was within the
 first 10 feet or so of the line which adjoins the roadway. Many home owners
 know (guess it may vary state to state), that usually the town owns rights
 - can claim eminent domain - to that area. You own it and maintain it, but
 the state can take it for a road project, etc. Rock was in this gray area,
 according to news report. Maybe Steve can clarify.

 Wal

Hello List,

The hole where the rock landed was on city property.  The surveyor stated that
it was off of the street, but about 5 feet from the property line in a sandy
imbankment.  If it had been within a foot or so, we would have "called a
offical time out for a measurement" as they say in football.  But it seemed to
be mute point as far as anyone was concerned.

The piece in Lang's photo was right on 14g

Steve