Re: Monahans

Walt writes:
>And Ron, I heard the stone WAS on Mario's property. But, it was within the
>first 10 feet or so of the line which adjoins the roadway. Many home owners
>know (guess it may vary state to state), that usually the town owns rights
>- can claim eminent domain - to that area. You own it and maintain it, but
>the state can take it for a road project, etc. Rock was in this gray area,
>according to news report. Maybe Steve can clarify.

This gray area that you are referring to is sometimes called an easement,
and if the meteorite did indeed land there, then I would agree it
would be unclear on who has legal ownership.

Steve replies with:
>The hole where the rock landed was on city property.  The surveyor stated that
>it was off of the street, but about 5 feet from the property line in a sandy
>imbankment.

This confirms what I've heard.  Since the meteorite landed on city
property, then the transfer of the meteorite to the boys would be considered
as a gift from the City of Monahans.

Ron Baalke