Re: Monahans international effects

In a message dated 6/13/98 9:41:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
patrick.marcos@lpa.servicom.es writes:

<<
 Dear Listtees,

 Actually here in Spain does not exist any meteorite-ownership-regulation, but
 due to the great publicity the Monahans case is subject to , Spanish
authorities are willing to ensure, that all found or fallen meteorites will be
available to authorities or said straight, of national ownership. żIs this
good for collectors and sellers?

 Regards, Patrick   >>

Patrick and list,

If they have came out and said that, then now is a good time to point out to
them that private collectors have done 10 times more good than harm, for the
science of Meteoritcs!  I would identify as many collectors in Spain, and all
of you write, call or visit the politicians who would make such decisions.  I
would also contact the scientists who might want to pressure the politicians
to do such a thing and sit down with them and talk.

I guarantee you, the hypothesis that Harvey Nininger proved correct over a
half century ago, still holds true today: Offer people a reward for turning up
meteorites, and more meteorites will turn up!  Take away the financial
incentive, and they will rust away in the ground!

Steve