Re: MONAHANS, TEXAS METEORITE PURCHASE

In a message dated 6/13/98 9:11:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
dweir@bellsouth.net writes:

<< Matt,
 I'd say what makes this ordinary H5 chondrite special is the fact that
 it has received so much publicity, similar to that of Peekskill, and
 that, of course, makes it a hot item. You and I know that this is only a
 manmade distiction and that it is one of the most common meteorites to
 find its way to Earth. That said, maybe there is a uniqueness in those
 blue halite crystals that further increase its desirability. After
 distribution of material to research and museum interests there will
 only be ~1/24th the material available to collectors as compared to
 Peekskill, which sold well at $25/g. So is that really such a high price
 to offer? The meteorite industry gets a burst of publicity and many new
 potential collectors are turned on to the fact that "yes, you can own
 pieces of the asteroids and planets!". Good for your business Matt and
 insures my collection will not lose value. Only my humble opinions.
 David

Hello David, Matt and List,

Well said David!

I was about to respond to Matt's post when I thought, "let me see what the
other responses are first."  I would add to David response "supply and
demand!"  You have 5 groups interested in this meteorite:

1.  The researchers; They want to study the very unique blue salt crystals
that are in this meteorite that have never been found in another meteorite
before, that will likely be dissolved out of any other specimens that may or
may not be found in the Monahans strewnfield!

2.  The general public; Some of them for the first times in their life, are
being exposed to the concept of meteorites as collectibles.  Sitting between
the "Book ends" of Deep Impact and Armageddon, the topic of rocks from space
has never been at such a high interest as it is right now.  If I was a dealer
out there, i would do whatever I could to cooperate and assist the media in
getting a good spin on this fantastic opportunity, and not worry too much
about how little or how much this might sell for.

3.  The collectors; It is an impact melt breccia, fresh fall, with only
~1,200g available, and depending on the scientific demand, there may only be a
few hundred grams of this available to collectors, possibly NONE available to
collectors.  And if you haven't noticed, this has generated some media
attention!  Collectors, may be able to say to their friends "Yea, I got a
piece of that!"  Let me point out that a collector paid $49,776 for a 1.55kg
complete L'Aigle stone (one of 2,000 to 3,000 stones.) Also, in this group of
collectors, we should include non-research museums, who need great displays
for their patrons.

4.  Philanthropists;  There have been far less noble things that wealthy
people have thrown large sums of money at it the past.  Here are 7 very poor
boys, that could really use the college money in a few years!  The purchaser
of this rock may view the purchase as a "reward" to the boys, rather than
financial value of the nickel in it if it were melted down (not to mention the
value of the salt, for his french fries, as someone else suggested).

5. Dealers;  The dealer who buys this rock (IF a dealer buys it) will have the
opportunity to not only finically gain, but the publicity this will provide
for him/her, is the kind you normally can't buy for $500,000.  Michael Casper
will be the first to admit "I want this Rock!"  Does he think it is worth, at
least the $20,000 cash he has offered?  You bet he does!  The one father has
alone, conducted over 100 interviews, for TV, radio, newspapers and magazines.
I have been interviewed dozens of times, and no doubt the media will want to
follow this rock, beyond the purchase from the boys.

I guess to end this up, I would like to ask Matt "What makes ANY meteorite
worth MORE than the going price of door stops, or paper weights?"  Answer that
question, and you will come about as close to the reason why Monahans is worth
what people will be willing to pay!

Steve Arnold