Re: The Strange Mystery of the Albion Meteorite (Iron)

Hi Martin,

You wrote:

"...the overwhelming number of anomalous irons and unusual inclusions.  While we
use 12 recognized chemical classifications for iron meteorites, there are
dozens of anomalous irons that, by definition, defy our current
classification system."

If the parent bodies of iron meteorites are asteroids and there are  an "overwhelming number of anomalous irons and unusual inclusions" as you state, in known, or recovered iron meteorites and we are concerned about wild asteroids and how to deflect them , (or in any way eliminate the threat of impact)  should we not put more emphasis on these anomalous irons in discovering how the asteroids themselves accreted.  If there are vugs, vacuoles and voids within asteroids (or some) learning to distinguish between them of course would be critical in any calculations NASA  or any other space agency may make.

With regard to 12 Classifications of Iron meteorites,  how often are these reviewed and possibly re-categorized?

Now having re-read this message before posting, I notice you said 'chemical' classifications.  Perhaps the 'system' of classification should be re-vamped.

Best wishes,
Julia