Re: MONAHANS, TEXAS METEORITE PURCHASE

In a message dated 6/15/98 10:06:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
WBranchsb@aol.com writes:

<<
 Buyers ultimately determine the market price for most goods and services.  If
 you want to pay a lot more more for L6s in the future, then lets all buy this
 one up at $50.00/gram.

Walter,

Let me point out a few things in case you haven't been reading the earlier
fall, impact melt breccia with blue halite and sylvite crystals that have
never been found in a meteorite before.  It also has generated much media
coverage all over the world. Plus the proceds from the sale of this go the the
college fund of these poor kids. In short, this is a genuinely unique
meteorite.  I don't think anyone would later pay $50/g for a normal L6 (or
H5), even if this one sold for $200/g!   Since this is far from a normal L6.

One problem we have here is that we have NOTHING to compare this to, to know
for certain what the market will establish as a value.  But I bet if there are
several folks that would be willing to pay the $20,000 for all of it, odds are
pretty strong there are enough collectors, researchers and museums that would
be willing to pay the $50/g in small slices.

But as far as you comments about the free market controlling the price, you
are exactly right

There is a chance that someone other than Casper might get this thing!  There
are a lot of rich Texas Oil men that might in fact buy this thing for MORE
than $120,000 just to help out these kids.  Such a person might in fact, keep
the rock himself/herself, or they might donate it to a museum somewhere!  I
might be able to obtain about 1g of this to sell now, before the whole rock is
sold.

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to pay me $100 for a 1 gram
piece of it?  If so, please respond to me via the entire list.

Thanks,
Steve