arizona meteorite fall

Hello list, apart from the raging Monahans and peekskill car broken
taillight fragments (my oh my, newbies to this list will run in terror)
I can add something partially new.
The news last night covered the search by UofA and volenteers searching
for the new fall near Casa Grande. I was amazed and by the fact that
almost all of the searchers were shown walking at a snails pace through
the desert with the metal detectors and headphones, stopping at every
beep. Is it me or do you think that a week old fall might actuallly be
on top of the ground in easy to identify fresh blackened fragments?????
They will never even begin to cover the large area by doing a
methodical slow metal detector search. I thought they would be trying to
cover a large area by walking grids rapidly since as I said and logic
dictates that fresh meteorites will not likely require a metal detector!
They may however find a new one. They also were usinf lucite enclosed
slices of iron meteorites as examples and showed on the news that a
"fresh meteorite may resemble this" and they zoomed up on an etched
slice of some iron meteorite. Has anyone out there ever found a fresh
etched slice of iron out in the desert?
On a lighter note, Bob Haag's offer of $5000 is turning out the people
in droves! I had 6 emails today of people who have "found" the
meteorite! They all said the same thing too, "heavy, black, full of
holes". This perfectly describes the basaltic lave rock that covers the
a large part of Arizona.

Mike Farmer
http://www.concentric.net/~farmerm