Re: Final words on Peekskill meteorite car...I hope!

At 12:45 PM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'd like to answer some of the questions raised on this list and
>hopefully put this thing to rest.
>
>He gave me the fragments a few years later.  I put them in a drawer
>where they sat until recently.  I am an amatuer astronomer and in the
>past few months, I have become interested in collecting meteorites.  I
>have started a small collection.  I joined this group to read and
>exchange information about meteorites.

 Hi Dan,
   Well seems you and I have a bit in common! You descibed me while
describing yourself! I bought my first meteorite 10 years ago, a 154gm
Canyon Diablo. A month and a half ago I decided it was time to start
collecting them, finances are better now than 10 years ago. I now have 13, 9
different meteorites. The meteorite list IS indeed excellent, I'm learning a
TON of stuff from it, and everyone has been just great. Debateing these
different issues is healthy as long as it doesn't start getting TOO
personal. We all have differances in opinions sometimes and that's o.k.
   Meteorite collecting is a truly unique hobby, we're the only hobby where
the objects we seek & buy are extra-terrestrial! I do it because they've
always facinated me, some do it for investment reasons as well. Being able
to buy and hold these objects blows my mind. Sure, there are a LOT of Earth
rocks that look far more "pretty" and interesting and those too are neat to
collect...but they were formed here on Earth. Hey, despite the occasional
bickering we're all here because of one thing......our facination with
meteorites!

Regards,
Tom Randall