Re: Fireball colors?

     To Matt and the List,

     The following is extracted from a recent forwarding from Ron Baalke:

     >Forwarded from Jim Bedient (wh6ef@pixi.com)
     >Subject: FAQ - Fireballs and Meteorite Dropping Fireballs

     -
     >The American Meteor Society, Ltd.

     >Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
     >About Fireballs and Meteorite Dropping Fireballs

     >Version 1.2

     >Question List:
     ---SNIP!---
     >  5. Can fireballs appear in different colors?
     ---SNIP!---

     >5. Can fireballs appear in different colors?

     >Vivid colors are more often reported by fireball observers because
     >the brightness is great enough to fall well within the range of human
     >color vision. These must be treated with some caution, however,
     >because of well-known effects associated with the persistence of
     >vision. Reported colors range across the spectrum, from red to bright
     >blue, and (rarely) violet. The dominant composition of a meteoroid
     >can play an important part in the observed colors of a fireball, with
     >certain elements displaying signature colors when vaporized. For
     >example, sodium produces a bright yellow color, nickel shows as
     >green, and magnesium as blue-white. The
     >velocity of the meteor also plays an important role, since a higher
     >level of kinetic energy will intensify certain colors compared to
     >others. Among fainter objects, it seems to be reported that slow
     >meteors are red or orange, while fast meteors frequently have a blue
     >color, but for fireballs the situation seems more complex than that,
     >but perhaps only because of the curiousities of color vision as
     >mentioned above.

     >The difficulties of specifying meteor color arise because meteor >light
     is dominated by an emission, rather than a continuous, >spectrum. The
     majority of light from a fireball radiates from a >compact cloud of
     material immediately surrounding the meteoroid or >closely trailing it.
     95% of this cloud consists of atoms from the >surrounding atmosphere; the
     balance consists of atoms of vaporized >elements from the meteoroid
     itself. These excited particles will emit >light at wavelengths
     characteristic for each element. The most common >emission lines observed
     in the visual portion of the spectrum from >ablated material in the
     fireball head originate from iron >(Fe),magnesium (Mg), and sodium (Na).
     Silicon (Si) may be >under-represented due to incomplete dissociation of
     SiO2 molecules. >Manganese (Mn), Chromium (Cr), Copper (Cu) have been
     observed >infireball spectra, along with rarer elements. The refractory
     >elements Aluminum (Al), Calcium (Ca), and Titanium (Ti) tend to be
     >incompletely vaporized and thus also under-represented in
     >fireball spectra.

     This passage supports George Zaye's contention that fireball color is
     dominated by ionized nitrogen as stated in previous postings to this
     List.

     Regards,
     Bob V.

Subject: Fireball colors?
Author:  mhmeteorites@geocities.com at Internet
Date:    6/19/98 7:35 AM

Hi list:
I was talking with Jack Murphy at the Denver Museum yesterday and we
started discussing the recent fireball activity. He asked me if I could
correlate fireball color to meteorite type.  I thought about it, but I
could not answer his question. I assume the color is based on the
chemical composition of the meteoroid. Does anyone know which
chemical/chemicals/minerals burn green, blue, or red for instance?
Thanks,
--
Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites