Canadian Meteorites (Was Re: Collectors)

>I was interviewed on national Canadian radio show last week, about the
>Monahans fall.  I was asked about meteorites in general and how to ID them.
>Just as the interviewer was ending the interview, I said "And...oh well...,
>>never mind."  And she said, "No what?"  And I told her that Canadians in
>general (and her listeners specifically) have a real problem when it comes to
>finding new meteorites.  She asked how and I said that they can't export them!

Hi Steve,

This is not true at all. Meteorites can be legally exported from Canada.

>She said "WHAT?"  I said, "Yes, there are some kind of laws established that
>prohibits them from being exported."  I mentioned that some years back someone
>thought it would be a good idea if Canada would restrict them so they could
>keep them all!

The law you are referring to is the Cultural Property Export and Import
Act which went into effect in Canada on September 6, 1977.  The Act was
enacted to regulate the import and export of cultural property.  The key
word here is "regulate".  The act has its roots in a 1970 UNESCO convention
(in case you didn't know, UNESCO is a United Nations organization).
The main purpose of the convention was to combat illicit traffic in cultural
property. There are eight categories of cultural property that the
Canadian Act applies to (and the Act used the UNESCO definition of cultural
property).  Cultural property includes meteorites, fossils, military objects,
applied and decorative art, fine art and archaeology objects, just to name a
few.   The Act does allow for the export of these items from Canada -
a cultural property export permit is required.  Such a permit can be
obtained for meteorites, and meteorites can be legally exported from Canada.

>I have been reminded (on this list) that Canada is not MY country, and that it
>isn't any of my business.  However, I have had several people with meteorites
>from Canada want to have me sell them for them, and I have to say "Sorry, you
>won't be able to get what they are really worth, since they MUST be sold and
>remain in Canada!"

Again, not true.  Meteorites can be legally exported from Canada.

>Unless someone speaks up, then we let the "Ignorance go to seed!" and that is
>not a good "harvest" to reap!

I couldn't agree with you more.  To remove this ignorance, I'd suggest
you take a look at this home page that has a lot of good info
on the Cultural Property Export and Import Act:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/culture/heritage/mcp_e.htm

Ron Baalke