Re: Prof. Archie Roy

In a message dated 20/06/98 10:43:20 BST, you write:

<< Dear Rob,
 	Could you send a copy of the "relevant sections" of the comments of
 Prof. Roy to this newsletter?
 	Also, if you can find out his email address, we will be 3/4 of the way
 there.
 	Thanks, Michael >>

Hi all,

Here's the relevant comments made by Prof.Roy last Friday; there is more, but
nothing derogatory.
This was a 3 minute interview, the first 2 minutes being questions and answers
about the specimens in my own collection....I had no idea that Prof. Roy was
going to be in there too, until I heard the broadcast.
He was aghast that some of us collect, sell & trade meteorites........OK, I'll
admit that selling/trading/collecting meteorites is more unusual in the UK
than in the US, but I have nothing in my collection that hasn't been generally
available to ANYONE for many years (my Yorkshire stone being the only possible
exception).

These are the Prof.Roy's comments that made me sit up and take notice:

"By making them collectors items, he (Rob E.) is keeping some of them from
study by scientists"  -  I am??????

"Apart from the samples brought back by the astronauts from the Moon, they are
about the only pieces of hardware, so to speak, that we can get from the
Universe"

I doubt if any museum has the capacity to hold each and every piece of all of
the meteorites found to date, and so long as new & interesting finds are
initially passed to the experts for analysis, where's the problem Professor?

Regards,
Rob Elliott.