Re: Oiling Irons

At 03:20 PM 6/24/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I have a rusty piece of Odessa iron I would like to clean up.  I intend
>to use a wire brush to remove the rust.
>I've heard conflicting viewpoints on whether or not I should put oil on
>it.
>
>Can anyone tell me about the oiling process?  Specifically what
>type/brand of oil to use, and how much/how often?
>
>I read an article on the web by a guy who uses a product for gun barrels
>called "Sheath" to protect his irons.  Has anyone
>else tried it?
>

>Thanks in advance for your responses.
>
>Dan

  Dan,
   I was told mineral oil is good, I've used it on my Canyon Diablo for the
last 10 years. Once a year. A thin coat is all that's needed.

What do you pros think of mineral oil? Bethany Sciences told me to use it
after I bought it. Seems to work VERY well.

Regards,
Tom Randall

   Tom Randall            Amateur Radio - KB2SMS
   trandall@mhv.net       Mt. Beacon Amateur Radio Club / ARRL / 10-10
   			  APRS on 144.390 - QRV on 6m on 50.125 or 52.525 from FN31
     			  Member: AAVSO Solar Division

   My Astronomy/Ham radio site: http://www1.mhv.net/~trandall/welcome.html

   Opinions herein are mine and may not be that of MHV.NET!