MetCAB?

     MetCAB - Meteorite Collectors Advisory Board

     You know how the producers of eggs, or milk, or pork, or beef, etc.
     have "advisory boards" for the promotion of their product?  Well, I
     think its about time for collectors/dealers to form such a board for
     promotional purposes in order to close this gap I see opening between
     amateur and academia/institutions.  It would be in the dealers best
     interest to have this board populated with spokespersons who are
     (coincidentally ;-) both collectors as well as workers in
     "academia/institutions".  Many are on this List.

     I can't read a press article lately without noticing what I perceive
     as escalating bad press for "collectors".  The Albuquerque Journal
     piece was an excellent article but between the lines I could still
     read this reoccurring message: Collectors - Bad!  Sky Shamans - Good!

     I keep hearing the same complaint quite a bit lately, in this case as
     quoted from Wasson, "Collectors are driving the price of meteorites
     out of our reach".  I had occasion to meet Dr. E.C.Krupp from the
     Griffith Observatory recently, and the first thing out of his mouth
     is, "It helps no one when collectors keep driving up the prices".  And
     this was before the Monahans Auction!

     Without appearing to be rewording Michael Blood's writings on this
     subject, can we keep collectors, dealers, institutions, everyone happy
     and united while prices escalate?

     I'd be interested in other opinions,
     Bob Verish

     "Eggs (read Collectors) - they been given a bum rap!"
     "Milk (" ") - it does a body (of science) good!"
     "Norton - the other white meteorite!"

     (Apologies to all our non-U.S. Listees for these obtuse references to
     North American commercial logos.)