THE NATURE OF THE LIST (Art -- Please Read)

Dear Art, and fellow list members,

Didn't we just have this same discussion a few months ago, when Art removed
the automatic "reply back to the list" feature?

I check into this list at least twice a day. I begin every new day with a
cup of tea, and the latest posts to the Meteorite Mailing List. I'm not
exaggerating when I say that this list is one of my favorite things in the
world. And that is because it is colorful, informative, occasionally wildly
hilarious . . . and sometimes even the source of a bargain.

Once again I would like to sincerely thank Art for making this marvelous
resource available to all of us at no charge. It's obviously Art's list,
and he will decide how to run it despite this post, and despite what other
people will post on the subject. I appear to be in the minority here, but
Art asked anyone who had a problem with this to speak up, and so I am
speaking up. For the record, I am obliged to say that I am against ANY
censorship of this list; I'm against banning people who lose their temper
once in a while; and I'm against the banning of moderate advertising. I
want to know when dealers' web sites are updated, and I want to know if
someone is having a special sale. Does it really offend the sensiblities of
some of our readers THAT MUCH to have the odd sale notice, for god's sake!?
I do understand that the volume of mail has become a problem for Art's
service provider, and that must be one of the reasons why some of our
colleagues have been forcibly removed from this list. Perhaps some of us
could volunteer to try and help Art find a more suitable internet provider?
(Art, I would be happy to volunteer to try and help you find a more
suitable internet provider).

We are privvy to plenty of serious scientific discussion here; also some
interesting news items; and much technical advice on a wide variety of
subjects. The people who have "misbehaved" have also contributed to this
list in their own way, not least by adding some color and contorversy (just
like in real life) to what can be at times -- let's face it -- an
exceedingly dull exchange of facts and figures. Two of those that (I
suspect) were removed have been repeatedly baited by others who are still
subscribers to this list, and that's not fair or proper. And at least one
person proposing a permanent ban for them has contributed precious little
to the list that I'm aware of.

So, some members are being removed for being a bit naughty. Next step is
moderation of the list. Then, perhaps we'll start banning people if their
spelling and grammar aren't up to standard. No doubt I'll eventually be
removed as well, because I criticised list policy.

If some of the more outspoken and eccentric members of our community are
banished, then a good deal of the sparkle and character will be banished
with them.

Art, please reconsider.

Sincerely,

Geoff Notkin