Meteorite Thin Sections

Hello List,

while there is just a special discussion about "Thin sections of irons"
going on I am reminded to and surprised at the fact that little is heard
of the collecting of meteorite thin sections, in general. There were two
instructive articles on this aspect of meteorites in the February and
August 1997 issues of the METEORITE! magazine (authored by O. Richard
Norton).

Beside my meteorite hand specimens I have 45 thin section "slides" in my
collection, covering a wide range of meteorite types. When I started
collecting these slides, David New was my only supplier, one of the very
reliable dealers of the old times, who most unfortunately has given up
his meteorite business in favor of natural diamonds. I know Bob Haag
usually has a few thin sections for sale, and nowadays I mostly get
these slides through one of my private European collector friends, who
has them made by a U.S. contractor from both own or other material. But
IŽd like to know WHO ELSE of you listees is interested in collecting
thin sections, exchanging sales and/or collection lists, information on
sources, etc....

BTW: I am still looking for a copy of Vagn BuchwaldŽs trilogy: "Handbook
of Iron Meteorites". Still no chance with that one anywhere out
there...???

Best regards, Alexander
Alexander Seidel        My location on planet Earth
Dankersstrasse 22       N 53.5932  E 9.4683  6m asl
Germany                 Phone/Fax  (+49) 4141 68772