Re: Open Leter

Gregory -

Contrary to the absurd opinion that you have expressed in your email below,
Michael was good enough to send me a private email indicating that he
agreed with my comments.

His email to me is as follows:

*************************
Dear Mark,
	I do think it HAS been good to hear the full spectrum of opinions, BUT
NOW, as you say, it would just be a matter of potentially 100 more
postings (all of which would fall somewhere in the spectrum already
expressed by at least 1/2 dozen members  - unless someone wanted the
death penalty applied - or sainthood).
	I agree with you at this point -
	Best wishes, Michael
**************************

Who are you to start answering for others Gregory, especially when the
opinion you proffer is not even in agreement with what others think. I
would call that a pretty self-important, self-serving attitude. And, if you
actually had an opinion of your own, or if any other member of this list
has an opinion for me, please forward it to me privately. I am sending this
response to the entire list specifically so that I may make the request
that emails be sent privately in the future. I will not respond in the
future to any public wailing like this attached email from Gregory.

Gregory - if you respond to this email again publicly on the meteorite
list, I will ignore your response. The list is too cluttered with useless
commentary like the one you have sent me. Give it a rest. You seem to like
to see your words in print. Thats fine when you are saying something useful
on the subject at hand, but your email below is nothing but further useless
dribble.

Michael - thank you for your private response. I do recognize you as one of
the more respected and knowledgable members of this list. Thank you for
your very useful ongoing efforts here.

At the risk of being accused of contributing more public commentary to
Gregory's email, let me just conclude by saying that Art is doing a
wonderful job and I support his efforts to bring this list under control.
This will be my last public response on the subject and let me thank
everyone for their patience and private emails of support.

Thanks - Mark

At 02:21 AM 6/26/98 EDT, Sharkkb8@aol.com wrote:
>Mark Lerner writes to/about Michael Blood:
>
><< Please do not waste the lists time with more emails like this one. I dont
> think we need a discourse now on what is a "blatant advertisement" versus
> an "advertisement". >>
>
>Ah, evidently we have here a self-styled candidate for List-Emperor.  That's
>just a SWELL idea, Mark,
>let's censor Michael Blood, one of the more esteemed and respected
>members of the meteorite community.  How DARE Michael write a cogent letter
>expressing (shudder) HIS OPINION of the issue at hand.  Apparently YOU are
>allowed to express your opinion, but how un-American to think that someone
>who disagrees with you should actually expect the same courtesy.  Gotta make
>sure everyone thinks alike, at all costs.  Ever study Nazi Germany, Mark?
>Give it a try.  (hint:  it didn't work out real well)
>
><>  (Michael's)  <on a new issue that is bound to produce another 100 emails to the list. This
>is what
>we are trying to avoid.  (snip)   I dont
> think we need a discourse now  >>
>
>"This is what WE are trying to avoid"?   "I don't think WE need a
>discourse..."?
>WE?  Just who exactly is WE, Mark?  Where is the extensive poll data which
>verifies what WE want to avoid, and what WE need?  And, btw, who exactly are
>YOU?
>
><art.>>
>
>Why didn't YOU?         Gregory

Mark J. Lerner