Re: Bolide size vs. recovered stones

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, GeoZay wrote:

> << The Peekskill bolide, which was quite
>  spectacular, as the videotape record attests, resulted also in a fairly
>  modest football size chunk being recovered, although there may be
>  smaller masses that fragmented and were never found. <<
>
> There also may have been larger fragments as well? The video suggested it
> probably had several companions.  Due to this fireballs trajectory, the fall
> ellipse is quite large. Also the possible areas other fragments may have
> landed is in harsh terrain. It was probably a lucky circumstance to find the
> piece that was recovered?
>
>  Jim>>Could an iron
>  meteorite display a less spectacular bolide and still reach the earth
>  (ie something like George's -15 bolide)? >>
>
> My -15 fireball wasn't something I'd call less spectacular....though the
> length of flight was quite short,  had less documentation and few witnesses
> around to see it....it was spectacular none the less. It didn't significantly
> fragment....but I bet if it occurred in Peekskill it would raise the same kind
> of ruckus. I gave my fireball a -15...though the magnitude could have easily
> been in a range of -13 to -17. The Peekskill fireball had an estimated
> magnitude of -13. I wouldn't slight either  one actually. The brightest
> fireball I've ever observed I gave it a -19...mainly due to it being the only
> fireball where I was forced to shield my eyes because it was so bright. A few
> months ago I observed a -12 on one night and was followed up with a -10 the
> following observing night.  I'm quite confident that both of these burned
> up...they had that look.
> George Zay

I didn't realise that the Peekskill was a -15:  I thought it was somewhat
brighter.

There is an interesting article in the December 97 issue of the Journal of
the Canadian Astronomical Society on the hunt for peices of the St.
Robert(?) meteorite.  Also a well witnessed, very bright fall.  It gives a
good account of the original mass and the probable amount to be recovered.
The area of the strewnfield is also well documented, should any Canadian
meteorite hunters be interested.

Regards,
Jim