Re: Bolide size vs. recovered stones

<< The Peekskill bolide, which was quite
 spectacular, as the videotape record attests, resulted also in a fairly
 modest football size chunk being recovered, although there may be
 smaller masses that fragmented and were never found. <<

There also may have been larger fragments as well? The video suggested it
probably had several companions.  Due to this fireballs trajectory, the fall
ellipse is quite large. Also the possible areas other fragments may have
landed is in harsh terrain. It was probably a lucky circumstance to find the
piece that was recovered?

 Jim>>Could an iron
 meteorite display a less spectacular bolide and still reach the earth
 (ie something like George's -15 bolide)? >>

My -15 fireball wasn't something I'd call less spectacular....though the
length of flight was quite short,  had less documentation and few witnesses
around to see it....it was spectacular none the less. It didn't significantly
fragment....but I bet if it occurred in Peekskill it would raise the same kind
of ruckus. I gave my fireball a -15...though the magnitude could have easily
been in a range of -13 to -17. The Peekskill fireball had an estimated
magnitude of -13. I wouldn't slight either  one actually. The brightest
fireball I've ever observed I gave it a -19...mainly due to it being the only
fireball where I was forced to shield my eyes because it was so bright. A few
months ago I observed a -12 on one night and was followed up with a -10 the
following observing night.  I'm quite confident that both of these burned
up...they had that look.
George Zay