Re: Bolide size vs. recovered stones

>Jim<< t makes one wonder what it would have been like to see one of the truly
> great bolides such as for Gibeon, Hoba, Odessa, etc.
>  >>
>---------------
>Jim,
>Look for the video of the great 1972 Fireball over Montana. That should give
>you some idea...although it was daylight.
>George Zay

I was fishing on a small stream in Western Montana when the fireball flew
over. It left a trail of bright colored smoke, blues, pinks, and white. I
don't remember a sonic boom or any sound for that matter. But I do remember
that the smoke trail lasted quite a while, and the fishing was not very
good.

As wonderful as it was to see that thing fly over, it was quite far away,
and I'm sure an impact, even from a fairly small one would be much more
dramatic or traumatic for that matter.

Years later, I witnessed a Soviet satellite which had fallen out of orbit
and went flaming across Montana's night sky. This event did have a greater
impact on me since I assumed it was either a burning airplane, or a nuclear
missile.  Either way, at that time, I wished I had not seen it. However,
after I read the news the next day, I realized that it was a good
once-in-a-lifetime experience.

As many know, Montana is known as the Big Sky Country so the chances of
seeing something unusual in the sky must be greater than in other places
because the sky is bigger ( ; - )

Martin Horejsi