Re: Bolide size vs. Recovered Stone(s)

I have been sending these messages to the list and for some reason they keep
getting sent to Phil B. My apologies but am resubmitting this message again. I
hope it goes to the list for all to see :-)

Out of curiosity I look up the definition of bolide in several books I have.
Cosmic Debris by John G. Burke lists a bolide as a fireball that detonates or
the break up of a fireball. The Exploration of the Universe by George O. Abell
lists a bolide as a break up of a fireball or exploding fireball. The
Illustrated Encyclopedia of Astronomy and Space defines a bolide as an
exploding or fragmenting bright meteor.

I noticed that a great many books stayed away from definition the subject
though and found no reference to bolide. I have always used the term to mean
break up or fragmentation of a fireball. Just as other terms are often misused,
apparently so is this one.

--AL