Re: Bolide size vs Recovered Stones

Al<<
 If the fireball breaks apart then its no longer a fireball but a bolide by
the
 definitions I have sighted. All objects traveling faster than sound should
 produce a sonic boom, coming down through the atmosphere, if the sound wave
 reaches someone that can hear it. (if a tree drops in a forest and no one is
 around to hear it did it make a sound) Again I would like to see some
distinct
 information to settle the issue and am open minded to such info. Best
regards.

Not all fireballs will travel far enough into the atmosphere to produce a
hearable sonic boom on the ground. If high enough, probably no appreciable
sound at all anywhere. So if a fireball produces a sonic boom and does not
fragment, it is still a fireball? Personally, I think of a bolide as a
fireball that has ended in a terminal burst with a sonic boom...like the one
in El Paso last october. All others are simply fireballs.
George Zay