Re: Bolide size vs. Recovered Stone(s)

<<
 I'm very familiar with the IMO as I am an amateur astronomer for the past 35
 years.<<

Have you been recording meteor data for the last 35 years also? How frequently
do you observe for meteors? Less than 100 hours/year ? More?

 >>I have seen some information from IMO that was not absolutely correct
 regarding meteorites. <<

Oh I'm sure if one looks hard enough you can find something that isn't
absolutely correct in somebody's opinion about most anything from any source.
IMO is more concerned about meteor activity as it encounters the earth to
determine where it's been. In the process it's interested in meteorite
recovery than the detailed analysis of the object itself. Surely once a
recovery is made, it will be passed along to those who have more expertise in
analyzing the objects innards.  So there could be some oversight of that
nature and possibly some inaccuracies, but if it involves the objects during
their flight...I would have to give them the nod as being the experts here.

>>The problem here is to determine the correct meaning of
 the two terms and not try to apply what you or I would want the term to mean
or
 be called (I'm not really that concerned about it, just curious as what is
 right). Best Regards.

Actually, I find that amongst most serious meteor observers, the term bolide
is seldom used. Fireball is the norm amongst them. Sometimes you will find a
novice use the term, but I think it's a carry over from the newsmedia and the
sort. I know I don't use it other than in a discussion like here. IMO doesn't
even have the word bolide in any of their handbooks either in discussions or
in the glossary of terms. Only fireball is listed to cover the definitions of
a bright meteor of all sources and conditions. FIDAC sometimes lets a
mentioning of a bolide in their publications slip by, but this is seldom.
Usually the descriptions are about a fireball.
George Zay