Bolide size versus recovered ...

Probably the most common use of the term "bolide," is as an unspecific term for a naturally-occuring object sailing through space (on an orbit) or impacting the Earth's or another planetoid's surface.  If it is big enough to see through a telescope and to be identified, it quickly becomes an "asteroid" or "comet" which are more precise terms.  If it streaks across the sky as a bright light, it becomes a "fireball" or "meteor."  If we can pick it up as a specimen and study it, it is quickly labelled a "meteorite."  Absent more specific identification, "bolide" is a very useful term to generally describe a naturally occuring object in or from outer space.  But, everyone is right:  none of the astronomy or geology dictionaries (of which I have several of each on my bookshelf) define "bolide" this way -- yet, it is probably used more often as described above than as the dictionary defines the term.

Steve
Seattle, Washington USA
excell@cris.com

Unrecognized Data: application/ms-tnef