RE: are we alone? (slime molds and other primitive life included)

>Is anyone else on the list interested in the recently released photos of
>Europa and the hypothesis that life may have formed in an ocean there?
>Skeptics? Proponents?

The latest closeup images of Europa from Galileo is the best evidence
to date for a liquid ocean or slush on Europa:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/galileo/

The images showing closeups of the icebergs combined with the fact that
salt deposits have been found on the surface of Europa and the surface is
relatively young (ie: lack of craters) is strong evidence for an ocean
under the ice of Europa.  What we don't know is if the ocean is still
liquid or has frozen out some millions of year ago.  The Europa Orbiter
mission, which is tentatively scheduled for launch in 2003, will answer
the question of an existing ocean and what its depth is.

Note there is no direct evidence for life on Europa.  That is
pure speculation at this point.  Finding a liquid ocean is a big first
step towards the possible existence of life.  If there is a liquid
ocean, then underwater volcanic vents could provide the energy for life
to exist on Europa, much like the volcanic vents at the bottom of the
oceans on Earth do.

>Have there been any tenable arguments lately for
>meteorites from a Jovian moon?

I've read about that possibility from a book which I can't remember
its title.  I'm sure it is possible for a large impact on one of the
Jovian moons to eject material (rocks & ice).  It would have to be large
enough make it able to leave Jupiter's large gravity well, but not
too large as to vaporize the material.  I would suspect Callisto to be the
most likely candidate, as it is the farthest of the large moons from
Jupiter.

>Ron, do you have a favorite picture from JPL that could be email
>attached to the group?

I have several images I like.  However, it is bad practice to
attach images to mailing lists.

Ron Baalke