Re: TLN?

I'll try to explain thermoluminescence as it was explained to me for use
in dating ceramics in archaeological contexts.

When certain materials (like feldspar) are heated to a certain temperature
(400') they release any stored up energy that they had stored up until
that time. So when a meteor enters the atmosphere it heats up and (I'm
assuming here) that any stored up energy is released from the parts of
the meteor that are heated above the specific temperature acquired (I'm
assuming the centres of meteorites don't attain the temperature of the
outer areas, ie. fusion crust)
For the length of time that the meteorite sits and waits for someone
lucky enough to find it, the area which was heated and released it's
energy begins to conserve energy once again. When found the material can
be reheated and the amount of energy released (as light) can be measured.
The amount of light released is a reflection of the time since the
material was last heated. More energy (light) means more time.
Different materials have different measures of energy and these must be
known before hand for the dating to be effective.

Hope I didn't present too much disinformation :)
It's been a little while

Hope this helps
JM

* Jamie McDougall        Collector of:  Native Artifacts & Baskets *
* 109 Hickory St. W                     Taxidermy & Skulls         *
* Waterloo, Ontario                     Curiousities               *
* N2L 3K1                               Fossils                    *
*                                       Meteorites                 *
* 1 (519) 885-5136                      Mortuary Items             *