Re: Question

Fellow list members, I got the following inquiry & thought some of you
may have a concrete answer, whereas I simply noted my thinking on the
matter. If anyone KNOWS the answer, I would be greatful if you were to
share it (probably the whole list would be interested)
> Hi:
> I visited you web site and you seem to be very knowledgable about meteorites.  We watch at television show called Discovery.ca and they have a bi-weekly quiz show.  One of the question was: How much do you think ALH84001 is insured for?  (this is the meteorite that is believed to contain evidence of ancient life on Mars).  It is hermetically sealed at the Johnson Space Center.   The possible answers were: a.  $150 million
> (the cost of Mars Pathfinder mission), b. $13 million (highest known price for a cut diamond), c) $40,000 thousand ( a new BMW 328) or d) zip, zilch, nothing.
> 	I have search the internet and not able to find anything remotely close to giving me some information and I chanced upon your web page - obviously these meteorites are of value and perhaps ALH84001 is priceless.  Can you help me out here.
	Thanks Shirley
Dear Shirly,
	I am confident ALH84001 is not insured. (There are at least 2 reasons I
can think of: 1) it is in a relatively safe place and 2) it could not be
sold - who would buy a "hot" meteorite? You couldn't even let anyone
know you HAD it, let alone show it to anyone. Where's the fun if there
is no "show & tell?")
	However, I will ask some people I know, some of whom work for NASA.
	Best wishes, Michael