A visit with Buzz Aldrin

Hello All,

I had a very good talk with Buzz Aldrin in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on Friday
afternoon. During our talk, I asked him about a couple topics that have
been of recent interest on this List. But first I would like to say how
refreshing it was to talk with someone with a genuine excitement and
interest in unique and advanced modes of space travel. It is also important
to note that Buzz is in support of commercial space endeavors, and wants
space travel to be an option for all, not just the wealthy.

About selling moon rocks:

Buzz looks at the rocks from an exclusively scientific point of view.
Although the thought of ownership of a moon rock is interesting, he doesn't
think there would be sufficient income from such sales of such curiosities
to develop or financially support a commercial space program. Also, with
the Apollo moon rocks, they belong to all of us so therefore, none of them
can be sold or privately owned. This made more sense to me than usual with
the snow covered Teton mountain range glistening in the sun just outside
the window. The Teton National Park is for everyone, so therefore, even
though I am a co-owner in the property (along with the rest of you), I
cannot build my house at the base of the Grand Teton for the very same
reason I cannot own an Apollo-gathered moon rock.

About the not-so-impending asteroid impact with earth:

Scientific information can be hard to understand, and the processes of
science are confusing to the general public. Although Buzz is not in favor
of withholding any information from the public, a little more time and
study should have been applied to the situation before an initial press
release was given to the popular media.  He also pointed out that he had
authored a science fiction book a couple years ago about such a situation
where a world has a 240 year advanced warning of an impending impact.  What
do they do? Well, I promised Buzz I would read the book to find out what
happened, but I get the feeling talking with Buzz, that much of their time
is squandered before the people on the world take it seriously. The name of
his book is "Encounter With Tiber."

Regarding a post Darryl made expressing his beliefs about the mass media,
press releases, and the timing of NASA announcements:

Buzz thought that there were some specific thought-out reasons why NASA
announcements were made at particular times. But as far as manipulating the
media (and in addition us), maybe NASA should do a better job of
manipulating the media in the future to avoid the mess with XF11.

Sincerely,

Martin