Re: A visit with Buzz Aldrin

Hello Again,

Regarding a couple of follow-up comments about my visit with Buzz Aldrin.

First: To jj
I'm sorry if Dr. Einstein wished a change of vocabulary. However, the words
you noted are mine not Dr. Aldrin's. Buzz preferred to talk in specifics so
where I used the words unique and advanced, Buzz described multistage
booster rockets on space planes, shuttle systems between Mars and Earth,
and small dingy-like transport ships which overcome gravity long enough to
deliver their cargo (people or otherwise) to the main ships looping back
and forth between planets.

When I asked him about mining comets and asteroids, he admitted that it was
not his field and thus had little opinion on the matter. He did refer me to
a current advocate who supports the exploitation of comets, asteroids, and
even the water on the moon. As it turns out, I had spent half a day with
the gentleman in mention when I invited him as a guest speaker to a space
science course I was teaching a number of years ago. Because of my
familiarity with the research of this particular individual, I felt Buzz
more easily shared his thoughts.

Second, to others who emailed me off-List about Astronauts charging
speaking fees:

My father-in-law arranged the meeting since the Aldrin's and my in-laws
have common friends.

Over a quarter century has passed since the moment Buzz Aldrin became a
household name. But he has a regular life, and has done quite a bit since
the Apollo 11 landing. Like the moon rocks, people tend to treat famous
astronauts (and other celebrities as well) as public property. Yes we did
pay for his trip to the moon, but we do not personally own him, and he owes
us nothing in return. If you treat a person as a souvenir, hopefully you
will be overcharged accordingly.

Sincerely,

Martin

Follow-Ups: References: